At Tuta, every member of our development team is very passionate about privacy, security and open source. We work on
Tuta not just because it is a job, but because it is very fulfilling to work on someting with a meaning: We work on a product that
enables everyone to protect their private data and with every new user who joins Tuta, we feel like this is another
tiny victory against surveillance capitalism.
We understand that we still have a long way to go until we can fully match the product of surveillance capitalists
such as Google or Microsoft, but our development progress in recent years has made great leaps so that we are
ready to scale Tuta to new levels!
- In 2014 we published the fully encrypted Tutanota email client, iOS and Android apps.
- In 2015 we introduced first paid features such as custom domain support.
- In 2017 we published a completely new version of Tutanota with better speed & design.
- In 2018 we published the Tutanota desktop clients for Linux, Mac OS and Windows in beta.
- In 2019 we published the beta version of the encrypted calendar and started compressing emails
to give you more storage space.
- In 2021 we pushed the Tutanota desktop clients out of beta after an extensive security review.
- In 2021 we completed a first prototype for updating our encryption to post-quantum secure algorithms.
- In 2022 we added offline mode so that you can access your encrypted mailbox, calendar and contacts also when not connected to
- In 2023 we rebranded to Tuta and can now offer a nice, short domain that you can use to get YourName@tuta.com.
- Since 2023 we also offer unlimited email address for your custom domain!
- Our next large features that we are already working on are conversation view and email import.
Best in class security
Here are the most important features that make Tuta's security unrivaled:
Our goal with Tuta is to make security easily accessible to everyone. That's why we strongly focus on usability and
convenience. The entire encryption process runs in the background, and you can use Tuta as easily as any email service.
You can use Tuta with absolute certainty that you will never pay with your data.
Some features in Tuta are only available to
paying users. With every upgrade,
you support us and our mission to bring privacy to the world! Thank you.
- Send / receive end-to-end encrypted emails via webmail
- Automatic encryption of subject, body and attachments
- External recipients can answer with an encrypted email (password exchange needed)
- Encrypted storing of all contacts
- Send / receive 'normal' emails, but stored encrypted
- Delete emails physically
- Apps for Android & iOS
- Folder management
- 31 languages available, more will come
- Choose from several free domains
- Up-to-date SSL-configuration, plus support of PFS
- Published Tutanota client code as open source
- Prevent automatic image loading to protect your privacy
- Spam protection
- Custom domain support
- Upgrading existing account for business use
- Adding aliases
- Enabling export of emails
- Added Signatures
- Inbox rules / filter
- Multiple email selection
- Adding storage
- Adding more aliases
- Combining multiple Tutanota accounts
- Improved design & speed
- Contact import
- Two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Full-text search
- Update Android app (speed, design, 2FA, search, contact import)
- Add Android app to F-Droid without Google Push to make Tutanota the best for open source emails
- Update iOS app (speed, design, 2FA, search, contact import)
- Secure password reset
- Push new client out of beta
- Desktop clients (Mac OS, Linux, Windows)
- HTML writing tools
- Show unread emails per folder
- Add Let's Encrypt for whitelabel domains
- Add the encrypted contact form Secure Connect
- Became a green email service
- Free encrypted calendar (beta)
- Customize notification email
- Add DKIM support for custom domains
- Add U2F support for Firefox
- Add double-tap to zoom to apps
- Activated compression of emails
- Improve protection against phishing emails
- Calendar invites via iCal
- Buy gift cards
- Add out of office notifications
- Allow-list for trusted senders to load images automatically
- Spell check added to the desktop clients
- Push desktop clients out of beta
- Add Pin & biometrics unlock to apps
- Add U2F support to the desktop clients
- Enable offline usage
- Sender name per alias
- Add share-to feature for iOS app
- Support FIDO U2F for mobile apps
- Add email subfolders
- Advanced calendar even repeat rules
- Enable sending group emails
- Enable shared email accounts
- Unlimited email addresses for custom domains
- Introduced four-letter com domain: Tuta.com
- Full unicode emoji support
- Disappearing messages
- Default email app on iOS
- Enable search in calendar
- Enable import of emails
- Single click email export
- Push encrypted calendar out of beta
- Update algorithms to post-quantum secure ones
- Better contact integration on iOS / Android
- Add Tor onion service
- Encrypted cloud storage
- Protection against email bombs
You can always check the Tuta Roadmap to see what we are currently working on.